Westminster Menswear Archive Exhibition: Invisible Men (RESEARCH PAST VISIT)

Recently, I attended the Westminster Menswear Archive Exhibition. This exhibition focused on, ” the invisibility of menswear due to its intrinsic design language that concentrates on the reiterations of archetypal garments intended for specific functional, technical or military use; designers have disrupted this through minimal, yet significant modifications to produce outcomes that both replicate and subvert their source material.” (Invisible Men Exhibition Website).

I wanted to explore the unique perspective of how individuals appreciate certain pieces and the ideations that go along with them. By looking at pivotal pieces designed by creatives from brands such as Vivienne Westwood and Alexander McQueen, it highlights the notion that consumers praise these individuals and the work they create. It was interesting to note the connection between workwear from those in the force as well as daily jobs, to brands such as Stone Island and CP Company. Personally, I noticed a lot of pieces and got very excited to have the chance to see them in person. I noticed around me were students, studying the shapes and hemlines of each piece for long periods of time. It was inspiring to see a room full of mannequins wearing items of clothing could mean so much, while being so simplistic.

Invisible Men – Exhibition at Ambika P3 – University of Westminster – 25th October to 24th November 2019