Streetwear in the Time of Corona Virus

Streetwear is being affected by Corona virus just as anything else. I recently read an Essay by Bobby Hundreds, co-founder of the OG streetwear brand the Hundreds. He described streetwear as almost a virus itself: “It’s novel and innovative. It needs a receptive host to share it with a community. It’s infectious and resilient and mutates over generations. And although it comes and goes in waves, no matter what the world throws at it, it’s almost impossible to extinguish. It survives.”

Recently, with revenge purchasing occurring in China, streetwear’s shopping has moved from Brick and Mortar to digital. Digital currency of streetwear has stayed the same, and buying is making people feel rational. Funny enough, GQ stated that the price of designer streetwear masks has almost doubled in price. It’s the question on every small business owners mind: will people ever shop in stores again? Streetwear stores are where the youth comes together in a physical environment to grow and create. It’s the local hangout – take that away and what is missing? A localized platform for the community to meet and discuss together. That is why my mobile application is so important: during a time of uncertainty, we need conversation and community for the streetwear subculture online.

Recently – Bobby has used this texting service called Community to reach out to famous individuals and text them (making it a direct to consumer marketing tactic). I decided to text Bobby and ask if my mobile application would be helpful for the community and his text responses are above. As Bobby says, “Direct-to-consumer doesn’t just stop with sales. It encompasses marketing, cultivating trust, and most importantly, community building. Lockdowns may not last forever but society may be hesitant to re-enter the outside world anytime soon.” I want to make YOUNIFORM direct-to-consumer in its marketing tactics – involving those who will be apart of the mobile application each step of the way and encompassing their feedback into the product.